The St. Joseph Project
New buildings are something we can all see and touch. But the reimagined St. Joseph’s will be so much more. St. Joe’s has always been about, and will always be about a holistic approach… offering a faith-based, Catholic education where all are welcome. After all, developing students to be happy, critical thinkers, problem solvers, collaborative leaders, good athletes and upstanding members of community is not exclusive to Catholics.
The St. Joseph Project: Upon the Past, a Future BuiltSt. Joseph Elementary is currently made up of five buildings dating back up to 75 years.
- Mackenzie and St. Joseph’s Halls have outlived their usefulness and will be removed.
- Doyle Hall, the newest building housing the gym and higher grade classrooms, will be saved. However, it will get a complete overhaul and clad to match an exciting two-storey addition containing a dozen brand-new classrooms and four washrooms. These two structures will be connected by a breezeway and communal courtyard, bringing all students and teachers back under one roof.
- New landscaping, including a new playground, and repaving will create a campus better aligned to Sutherland Avenue and create better drop-off and pick-up traffic lanes and parking.
Immediate, Convenient and Exciting ImpactThe St. Joseph Project’s timeline is ambitiously swift:
- Raise the needed money now and in fall 2015 through “The Masterpiece Campaign”;
- Start preparation and Doyle Hall renewal when our kids finish school in June 2016;
- Using Britco’s factory built construction process, erect new addition in July 2016;
- Welcome students and teachers to our new school in September 2016.
The entire Project completes with no interruption to learning whatsoever!
Inspired Stewardship: The Masterpiece CampaignOur Masterpiece Campaign is already off to an incredible start. Of the $4.8 million needed to transform St. Joseph’s, more than half has already been raised with Kelowna’s parishes committing $1.5 million, the Diocese of Nelson adding $500,000 and private donations so far totalling almost $1,809,067. This means $990,933 has to be raised now and achieving this means our new school can be built mortgage free; a feat setting St. Joseph’s up for educational and community excellence without financial burden for generations.
The St. Joseph Project is moving ahead. Money is being raised and shovels will soon be in the ground. There is a lot happening and much information to be shared: stay tuned for Masterpiece events, stories and building progress and general updates.